University Marketing & Communications

Filming on the UM Campus

Procedures for Motion Picture/Video/Film or Photography on the University of Montevallo campus

We’re thrilled you are considering filming on our beautiful campus. The University of Montevallo has become a sought-after location for filming and photography. As a result, we developed the following guidelines to coordinate these events in an effort to curtail potential logistical problems, mitigate security/safety risks, protect privacy rights and ensure the final production is appropriate and protective of the intrinsic value of the University of Montevallo brand and consistent with the University’s best interest.

The UM campus may occasionally be used (on a limited basis) for filming projects, including television shows, movies, commercials, documentaries, photo shoots, etc., as long as it does not interfere with the University’s primary educational mission and necessary daily functions.

These guidelines have been developed to clarify under what circumstances the University, University-owned properties and University-owned buildings may be used as a location for videos, films or photography. All decisions to allow filming/videotaping/photographing (henceforth referred to as film/filming) of UM’s campus, University-owned lands or University-owned buildings (henceforth referred to as UM) will be made by the Office of University Marketing & Communications in consultation with other University administrators.

All entities, whether employed by UM or not, wishing to film at UM must complete the Film Request Application in order to apply for consideration. Other documents may be required and will be provided by the Office of University Marketing and Communications as necessary.

Please choose the appropriate link below:

UM Affiliated (current UM faculty or staff, students or graduates)

Non-UM Affiliated


A. Working Media

These guidelines do not apply to members of the media who are at UM to produce stories that will be published in a newspaper/magazine/website or on a news broadcast. However, news organizations who wish to film or photograph on campus for special projects, such as documentaries, should contact the Office of University Marketing & Communications.

B. Filming Inside UM Athletic Venues

All filming inside UM athletic venues must be coordinated with the Office of University Marketing & Communications and UM’s Athletic Department.


Questions about filming at the University of Montevallo or these guidelines should be directed to the Office of University Marketing & Communications.

The University reserves the right to change these guidelines at any time to protect the best interest of the University.