Housing & Residence Life

Frequently Asked Questions

How soon should I apply for housing?

Apply early!  You should apply as soon as you are admitted to the University.  Our application is online.

Assignments are made based on the date the housing application is received. Applying early increases your chance of having your assignment requests met.

May I have a room by myself?

Maybe. There are a limited number of single rooms available in Main Hall. Residential College features private bedrooms, with a shared living room and kitchen.  All other rooms are double occupancy.  If space becomes available in your double-occupancy room, you may request it as private. Private rooms are granted on a space-available basis and are not available until 5 p.m. the first day of classes.  All students requesting a private room must sign the “Private Room Form,” available in the Housing office.  The form must be submitted each semester.

Can I personalize my room?

Yes! You may have just about anything in your room except a microwave (unless it is part of a UM Micro Fridge unit), a pet (unless it’s fish), or any type of open-coil heating device (space heater, hot plate, etc.). Borders (painted or wallpaper) are prohibited.  Be careful with how you place items on the walls.  Nails are not allowed in the residence halls (except for a few small nails in New Hall because of the type walls in that building).

When will I get information on my room and roommate?

Housing and roommate information will be e-mailed to you in mid to late May.  The information will include your hall, room number, and contact information for your roommate.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate or don’t like the hall to which I’ve been assigned?

You may change rooms during Room Change Days. They begin the third day of classes and last for about three weeks.  We ask that you not request a room change until that time. Housing & Residence Life wants you to be happy with your living arrangement and encourages you to take an active part in pursuing a comfortable and fulfilling on-campus life!

What furnishings will be in my room?

Each room is furnished with a bed, mattress, desk, and chair for each resident in the room.  Each room also has blinds and closets or wardrobes.

What things must I leave at home?

Air conditioners * Candles * Incense * Electric Blankets * Electric Fry Pan * Electric Grills * Electric Heaters * Firearms/weapons *  Fireworks * Halogen lamps * Heating Pads * Hot Plates * Lava Lamps * Sun Lamp * Water Bed*  (The Residence Hall Handbook includes a complete list of prohibited items.) Air fryers are only allowed in halls that have kitchens in the room (College Creek Apartments, College Park Apartments, New Hall and Peck Hall).

What do I do if I have a disability-related housing or dietary request for living in the residence halls?

Students with documented long-term or permanent disability conditions may need to make disability-related housing or dietary requests. Please see Disability Related Housing and Dietary Requests to download the request form, and for information about additional requirements and deadlines. Students should complete the housing application and pay the housing deposit while sending the necessary information to AAC. Requests for accommodations related to housing and dietary needs may be reviewed by AAC, and when necessary, by appropriate staff from Housing & Residence Life, Health Services, and/or Counseling Services.

Please send any documentation for disability-related housing requests to AAC.

Documentation can be faxed to 205-665-6255 or mailed to:  Access and Compliance, Station 6250, Montevallo, Alabama 35115.   Please call 205-665-6250 or email AAC@montevallo.edu with other disability-related questions or concerns.