Falcon Family Update

July 2021 Newsletter

Don’t Wait – Vaccinate
Tips for Move-In Day
Important Information from the Office of Student Accounts
Student Health Services FAQs
Important Dates to Remember

Don’t Wait – Vaccinate

The campus COVID-19 vaccination rate will play a major role as we continue to work toward returning to normal for the fall semester. All UM students are strongly encouraged to get a COVID-19 vaccine this summer before returning to campus for the fall semester.

Students who are fully vaccinated will not be required to quarantine if they come into close contact with an individual who tests positive for COVID-19 during the fall semester.

Plus, fully vaccinated students will be eligible to receive amazing giveaways.

Visit montevallo.edu/vaccine for full details!

Tips for Move-In Day

Freshman Move-In Day is Friday, Aug. 20 from 8 a.m. to noon. Please consider the following tips as you make plans for Move-In Day. All other students may move in beginning Saturday, Aug. 21 or Sunday, Aug. 22.

  • Follow all traffic directions (detailed information will be sent to UM email address in August). UM Police and staff are on-hand to help make traffic flow smoothly.
  • Move-in times are staggered by last name to make the process quicker and more convenient for everyone.
    A-M: 8 to 10 a.m.
    N-Z: 10 a.m. to noon
  • Have all of your student’s belongings in boxes or bags labeled with his/her name and room number. Volunteers will be on-hand to help you carry the items to your student’s new room.
  • Go directly to your student’s assigned hall.
  • Once you have unloaded your student’s belongings, please move your vehicle to a designated parking spot immediately! Other students also need to unload their items.
  • Smile in the hallway! These are your student’s classmates, roommates and soon-to-be friends.

Items to bring with you

  • Mattress cover (standard size twin)
  • Sheets, pillows and pillowcases (standard size twin)
  • Blanket
  • Comforter/bedspread (standard size twin)
  • Towels, washcloths, toiletries (soap, shampoo, etc.)
  • Shower curtain (Brooke Hall, Lund Hall, Ramsay Hall, Peck Hall and New Hall)
  • Waste basket
  • Alarm clock
  • Laundry bag/basket
  • Laundry detergent/dryer sheets
  • Flashlight
  • Surge protector
  • Cable cord to connect TV to cable outlet
  • Water bottle

Other items you might find useful

  • Surge protector with long cord (Note: Extension cords are not allowed.)
  • Personal computer
  • Printer (wireless printers do not connect to our network)
  • Television
  • Refrigerator (not exceeding 1.5 amps or 4.5 cubic feet). Note: There is a $25 one-time-per-year energy surcharge for each refrigerator.
  • Curtains: All windows have blinds. All rooms have at least one window. A few have more than one. Window dimensions are approximate:
    • Brooke Hall — 43.5” wide by 52.5″ long
    • Main Hall — 48″ wide by 85″ long
    • Hanson Hall — 35″ wide by 72″ long
    • Napier Hall — 48″ wide by 60″ long
    • Lund Hall — 41″ wide by 54″ long
    • Peck Hall — 32″ or 64″ wide by 64″ long
    • Tutwiler Hall — 32″ wide by 72″ long
    • New Residence Hall — Bedroom 33″ wide x 57″ long; Living room (2) 27″ wide by 57″ long
    • Ramsay Hall — 63” or 31.5” wide by 60.5” long
  • Coffee maker (sealed unit) with automatic cutoff
  • Ironing board and iron
  • Radio/stereo
  • Study lamp
  • Blow dryer/straightener
  • Throw rugs
  • Water filter pitcher
  • Only loft beds rented from Collegiate Bed Loft (cblorder.com) are allowed. Collegiate Bed Loft will set up the loft prior to move-in for the fall term and will remove the loft after your student moves out. The University assumes no liability for injury or damage due to lofts. Information about ordering deadlines were included with the fall term room assignment letter.

Items that are NOT allowed

  • Electrical heating appliances such as space heaters, hot plates, electric blankets and toasters (do not bring any appliance with an open coil or flame)
  • Microwave ovens (except in Peck Hall and New Hall)
  • Pets (except fish; 10 gallon tank limit)
  • Extension cords (any type) are NOT ALLOWED — you may bring surge protectors
  • Sun lamps or lava lamps
  • Electric blankets or heating pads
  • Candles/incense
  • Individual A/C window units
  • Loft if not rented from Collegiate Bed Loft

Note: Health and safety inspections will be conducted once a month. Violators will face disciplinary action.

Cable Television service is provided in all residence hall rooms. The cost for the service is included in the room charge.

Laundry rooms are conveniently located in the buildings. Machines are coinless, and the cost of the service is included in the room charge.

Room dimensions can found on our webpage at montevallo.edu/residence-halls.

Important Information from the Office of Student Accounts

The mission of the University of Montevallo’s Office of Student Accounts is to assist Montevallo students and families in understanding their financial obligations related to attendance at the University. For some, the responsibilities of college can be overwhelming. These responsibilities may include bill payment, registration dates and knowing school policies. Please look below for answers to some of our most frequently asked questions.

Where is the Office of Student Accounts located? Our office is located on the second floor of Palmer Hall.

Where can I find out my student’s account balance? Log into Banner Self -Service (link to Banner Self-Service is located at the bottom of the montevallo.edu homepage). Choose Student, then Student Account. To see the current account balance, choose student account summary by specific term or account detail by specific term while making sure to select the current term from the pulldown box on the next page.

What are my payment options at UM?

  • Make payment in full by the published payment deadline date (first day of class by 5 p.m.)
  • Enroll in a payment plan (fall and spring semesters only). Visit our webpage at montevallo.edu/payment-plan-information for more information about payment plan options currently available at UM.
  • If using financial aid, make sure the amounts you have been awarded are adequate to fulfill the balance owed on your account. IF a balance remains after your aid credits, the remaining balance must be paid by the published payment deadline date.
  • Late Payment Fee: A $50 late fee will be charged if payment is not made or loans are not applied to the student’s account by the payment deadline.

How do I make my payment?

  • Payments to student’s account may be made online using American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa or electronic check. Go to montevallo.edu and select the Banner Self-Service link at the bottom of the page. You will need your username and password. Parents can also make payments on the student account if the student has set them up as an authorized user through the student e-payment portal (click the Parent Portal link on the navigation bar to the left for more information).
  • In person at the Office of Student Accounts window on the second floor of Palmer Hall; 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
  • The Office of Student Accounts does not accept credit card payments over the phone due to security and privacy reasons.
  • Mail checks (please include Student ID number on check) to:
    University of Montevallo
    Office of Student Accounts
    Station 6065
    Montevallo, Alabama 35115

When are billing statements sent? UM no longer mails out paper bills to students. All students are sent an electronic bill (e-bill) to their University assigned email address once a month regardless of their account balance.

I’m the parent of a student and I pay the bills. Why can’t you talk to me directly about my student’s financial matters? The Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that we have written permission from the student to disclose any part of the student’s educational records which, by law, is confidential. Information concerning this federal law can be found at http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/index.html. Your student can establish you as an authorized person by going to the Registrar’s Office on the second floor of Palmer Hall to fill out the release form or by visiting montevallo.edu/record-release-authorization to fill out the form online. Once this form is on file, the Office of Student Accounts will be able to answer your questions regarding your student’s financial matters.

Contact Information:  
University of Montevallo
Office of Student Accounts
Station 6065
Montevallo, AL 35115
Phone: 205-665-6065
Fax: 205-665-6078
Email: cashier@montevallo.edu

Student Health Services FAQs

Student Health Services (SHS) is an on-campus clinic that provides direct, basic medical care to all registered undergraduate students. Parents often have questions about the services made available by this department. In an attempt to answer these questions, the information requested most frequently is provided below.

Question: Will my student have to pay a fee if they make an appointment? No fees are collected. Tuition and fees cover unlimited visits to SHS. When deemed necessary by SHS staff, a student may be referred to the local supervising physician, Dr. Jonathan Merkle, for further evaluation. Depending on the reason for the referral, this visit may also be covered by UM, or the student’s health insurance may be utilized and a copay may be required. Expenses incurred beyond that provided by the University are the responsibility of the student.

Question: What services are provided in Student Health Services?  SHS provides basic medical care for minor illness and injury, including common colds, urinary tract infections and seasonal allergies. They provide off-campus referrals when students require services that SHS does not have available (such as labs, x-rays, etc.). The department is staffed by a physician’s assistant and a registered nurse. The physician’s assistant, practicing under the direction of the local physician, can write prescriptions for select medications, such as antibiotics. When prescribed, some antibiotics can be purchased in the clinic. Controlled substances (such as medications for ADHD, anxiety and pain) are not available through SHS.

Question: How does my student go about using this service? It is preferred that your student call 205-665-6275 to make an appointment. This cuts down on wait time and exposure to other illnesses. SHS is located in Main Hall, east wing.

Question: What about health insurance? If your student is a U.S. resident, he/she can stay on a parent’s plan until the age of 26. This is assuming your employer offers a family plan. If you do not have insurance, your student can go year-round to HealthCare.gov or call the Health Insurance Marketplace call center at 1-800-318-2596 to learn more. TTY users should call 1-855-889-4325. No one can be turned away from the Marketplace based on pre-existing conditions — it is guaranteed, and most people will get help paying for premiums or get a free or low-cost plan. When you fill out a Marketplace application, you’ll find out if you qualify for coverage through Medicaid. Medicaid is a combined state and federal program that provides coverage to people with limited income. (CMS Product No. 11805, May 2014)

Question: What are some suggested over-the-counter medications that my student should bring for medical self-care?

  • Fever or pain relief: Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
  • Upset stomach, diarrhea: Tums, Pepto-Bismol, Imodium
  • Cold and sinus medication: Dayquil, Nyquil, Sudafed, Mucinex
  • Allergy medication, if needed: Claritin, Zyrtec, Allegra, Benadryl
  • Prescription medication(s) or inhalers in original containers
  • Thermometer
  • Basic first aid supplies: Band-Aids, antibiotic ointment, hydrocortisone cream, etc.
  • Ace wrap or joint braces, if needed regularly
  • For more details, see PDF titled “Taking Care of Yourself in College” on our webpage.

Question: What medical documentation does my student need to turn in before arriving at UM? The “Incoming Student Medical Form” is available on our webpage and must be completed online by the student prior to the first day of class. It is self-completed and requires proof of measles immunity (2 dates of MMR vaccine) uploaded and attached to the form. Even though COVID-19, influenza, Varicella (Chicken Pox), Tetanus, Hepatitis B and Meningitis vaccines are not required, they are strongly recommended. Copies of these vaccine records can also be attached to the form to be added to the student’s confidential electronic medical record. The form also includes a Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Questionnaire. A TB test is not required unless the student is determined to be at risk. If required, the student will be contacted by Health Services.

Visit the Student Health Services webpage for required forms and for more information at montevallo.edu/student-health-services.

Important Dates to Remember

Aug. 20: New Student Move-In Day
Aug. 21-22: Returning students move in
Aug. 23: Classes begin/late registration/payment deadline for fall semester
Aug. 23-27: Drop/add period for all classes
Aug. 25-Sept.10: Room Change Days for residence halls
Aug. 27: Last day for refund for dropped course(s)/Last day to change meal plan
Sept. 6: Labor Day holiday (University closed)
Oct. 14: Founders’ Day
Oct. 11: Mid-Semester Week begins
Oct. 26: Last day for course or semester withdrawal (all students)
Nov. 1: Pre-registration for spring and summer semesters begins for currently enrolled graduate students
Nov. 3: Pre-registration for spring and summer semesters begins for currently enrolled undergraduate students (according to classification)
Nov. 27: 8 a.m. — Residence halls close for Thanksgiving (except Brooke Hall, Lund Hall and Peck Hall)
Nov. 24-26: Thanksgiving holidays (University closed)
Nov. 28: Residence halls re-open at 2 p.m.
Nov. 29: Classes resume
Dec. 6-10: Final exams
Dec. 10: UM Commencement/residence halls close for Winter Break at 5 p.m. (7 p.m. for graduates)
Dec. 18-Jan. 3: Winter holidays (University closed)
Jan. 7: 8 a.m. — Residence halls open for spring semester
Jan. 10: Classes begin for spring semester